Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 13:05

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beth bullied in Janie Steps In
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 02:05 
Being rude to your sheepdog

My mother contracted polio during WW2. She was about 5 years old and put in an iron lung for quite some time.

I remember her telling us of this time, when all her friends had been evacuated (she was in London) and the bombs would light up the sky around her and the other children, and a nurse would always stay to be with them and comfort them. They were not left alone during the air raids. They had mirrors angled above the iron lungs so they could see the nurse.

such courage, such danger.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 08:04 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Those iron lungs looked really frightening.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 08:34 
Attending a prees' meeting

Goodness, fibreclaire, that is a most extraordinary story of a time when many extraordinary things happened. It's sometimes hard to think that it was only seventy-odd years ago!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 14:16 
Buying your school uniform

fibreclaire wrote:
My mother contracted polio during WW2. She was about 5 years old and put in an iron lung for quite some time.

I remember her telling us of this time, when all her friends had been evacuated (she was in London) and the bombs would light up the sky around her and the other children, and a nurse would always stay to be with them and comfort them. They were not left alone during the air raids. They had mirrors angled above the iron lungs so they could see the nurse.

such courage, such danger.

Those poor children must have been so frightened. I'm glad someone stayed with them. Very brave and caring of the nurses.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 15:25 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

I would like someone to write Beth at school, either a fill-in or for the SDL please! :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 21:37 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

I've had a biography of Beth floating around in my mind for a while. Maybe I'll get round to writing it down.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 15:47 
Having a say in the Sale theme

Re Paul Ozanne getting a Recordership: wasn't the legal system in Jersey and Guernsey different from ours on the UK Mainland, just as Scotland has its own legal system?

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 16:18 

Yes, it sounds more like the French system (unsurprisingly), doesn't it? But my notes say he was Recorder for Armiford (Goes to It).

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 19:37 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

To practise law in the Channel islands, you normally qualify in English law, and then have to take additional qualifications in French law, and in the local law.

That would mean that Paul Ozanne was qualified to be a Recorder (which is a type of judge) in Armishire.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 23:14 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Peter had only lost his fortune a year or two earlier but I seem to remember the impression is given that the whole inside of the house is needing new furniture, curtains etc.

It is Janie I don't like in this book. As she has grown-up she seems to have turned very bossy. What would she have if it was not for Julian? She does not seem to have any of the money making talents of Anne or Elizabeth.

Anne seems completely changed although she and Peter must have about the happiest (of course, after Jo and Jack!) of any of EBD's marriages.

I think EBD only changed Anne to contrast her with the adult Janie who could then become the equal and friend of Elizabeth.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 23:20 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

"Butting in" seems to be considered a very admirable thing to do in EBD-land :roll:. I appreciate that Janie, Joey and Mary-Lou all mean well, but not everyone appreciates other people's interference in their business.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 16:02 

I think that Anne might have seen it as Janie rubbing in that Anne could no longer afford the luxurious things that Janie had ordered for their homecoming.

But I do think that it is irrational of Anne to insist that her other children give way to Barbara in anything and everything, and bad for the whole family.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 01:44 
Climbing with your knees bent

I could see the house being rather scruffy looking due to lack of proper cleaning, even after a year. They bought the house and furniture assuming they'd have multiple staff to do the cleaning, and a gardener, but only had Anne, Beth and a not so good maid, and a lack of modern conveniences like vacuum cleaners and waterproof varnish. So I can picture scuffed wood floors badly in need of a polish, ornate, hard to dust furniture with dust in all the cracks and also needing polishing, the occasional water stain on tables thanks to all the kids, curtains and rugs badly in need of a good beating, and an overlay of general clutter, and outside with an overgrown garden and a need for a bit of paint touch up on the trim.

janie was relatively sheltered from the sisters' financial issues in Three Maids. She still mostly lived the life of a well bred young woman - practicing piano rather than training for a job - although with less spending money and a smaller house. Then Anne and Elizabeth married well to do men, and her life quickly went back to normal, with studying music in Paris and being 'finished' rather than the expectation that she'd need to earn a living. So she actually came into her marriage better off that either of her sisters.

Although come to think of it, Janie was the one who was actually supporting the family in Three Maids, through her survivor's pension. Anne and Elizabeth's plans to earn a living through artistic painting and writing folktales weren't producing much money, and while very refined, were not exactly practical in the sense of needing to pay rent and buy food on a regular basis. When the money Janie's pension ran out, they'd have no money and been in pretty dire straits.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 08:35 

They are quite over-protective with Janie. There was no guarantee that all three of them were going to bag rich husbands, and it would have been more sensible to have sent her to a secretarial college.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 08:13 

They're actually much worse off that the Bettany trio. In that case, Dick has a job that supports himself, they've got about 200 pounds a year in investment income, and a house, and Madge has a modern high school education. They can sell the house for capital, leaving a bit of investment income as a backup in case things go really badly.

The Temples have some furniture and personal items, no savings, and the education of accomplished young women. Their best bet, from a practical perspective, would for Anne and Elizabeth to get some sort of paid work to pay the bills, while Janie used the pension for practical training like business school. Then once Janie is in a decent position, they might have enough income between the three of them to send Anne or Elizabeth for training, and then leapfrog from there. They likely wouldn't have a nice cottage in the countryside with a servant while doing this, but it would be more stable in the future than hoping to become famous artists, or marry well.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 00:50 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I know that the Temples are from a different time to the Bettanys, so Madge's enterpreneurial spirit would not be of the norm for them, but I'm surprided Elizabeth and Anne didn't become paid companions/ governesses or the like.
I also find it a shame that the Anne we are shown through her art: dark, passionate and unconventional never really emerges after her marriage.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 08:33 

They're not unlike characters from Jane Austen books, over a century earlier - getting a small house somewhere where they can live "quietly" off what little money they have, instead of trying to improve their position. However, Madge is unusual in her entrepreneurial spirit :D . I always want to shake Sylvia from Ballet Shoes, who is a similar age and, when the money runs out, wrings her hands, accepts favours from friends and lets her domestic staff go unpaid. It all just goes to show what a wonderful character Madge is :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 14:53 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Sylvia has been landed with three babies she didn't ask for though. Not sure how I'd hold up in those circumstances!

I haven't read this book but Anne's character seems to have completely changed. And Peter Chester is so nice, why is he letting Anne away with it all?

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 16:26 

Anything for a quiet life!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 05:16 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Loryat wrote:
I haven't read this book but Anne's character seems to have completely changed. And Peter Chester is so nice, why is he letting Anne away with it all?

We are told he is incredibly insanely in love with her so maybe he is blind to her faults.

Maybe he is working so much to keep the big house going he simply doesn't notice?

Maybe he feels guilty for trusting someone to look after their money who then loses it that he will do anything to keep her happy?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 13:05