Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 30 May 2017, 10:12

Post subject: Re: Beth bullied in Janie Steps In
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 22:47 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

Joyce wrote:
Loryat wrote:
I haven't read this book but Anne's character seems to have completely changed. And Peter Chester is so nice, why is he letting Anne away with it all?

We are told he is incredibly insanely in love with her so maybe he is blind to her faults.

Maybe he is working so much to keep the big house going he simply doesn't notice?

Maybe he feels guilty for trusting someone to look after their money who then loses it that he will do anything to keep her happy?

Cheers,
Joyce

Agree with all of these good points☺

Easy to forget he was bound to have felt guilty, especially at so affecting the life of his precious Anne and, as Joyce also says, he was working incredibly hard.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 13:33 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I suppose these all make sense. Maids Peter Chester doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would ignore his children's needs for the sake of his wife, but then again Maids Anne doesn't seem like the sort to neglect her children's needs so she can wallow in self-pity and obsess over one child - I guess they both have character transplants.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 00:41 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Anne could well have had post natal depression after the shock of losing the family money, and the stress of a fragile baby. It would have made her anxious, with tunnel vision, only able to focus on the task in hand (raising this ill baby) to the detriment of the others.

She had to lose all her staff and cope on her own with everything. I am not sure I would have managed to be calm, capable and rise above it all under the circumstances.

She could have been so close to the edge, mentally and physically, that she became unable to cope or reason. Hadnt her husband also recently been ill, during her pregnancy, and needed convalescence?

Post natal depression can last for years. And it can make you become defensive and see any offer of help as a form of telling you you are doing it wrong, failing, a bad mother etc.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 30 May 2017, 10:12