Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:19

Post subject: Goodreads
PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 18:02 
Asked to help with the play

I think a few people here use Goodreads. Would anyone mind saying exactly how they use it/what its purpose is for them? I've had an account there for a while, and have dipped in here and there, but have never really worked out how to use it or what to do with it. I feel as if I'm running round the outside unable to find my way in!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Goodreads
PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 18:37 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I really enjoy Goodreads, for a few reasons...

1. It's an easy way to keep track of what books I've read and how many times - you can even set a reading challenge for the year if you want to.

2. It's an easy way to keep track of which books I've liked and disliked, because there's a star ranking system. And of course if you review a book you can look back at your review and go oh yes, I loved that because it was so well written, or all the characters in that book were so annoying I wanted to slaughter them.

3. I find it useful for gauging whether or not I might like a book by reading other people's reviews of it. Obviously reviews are very subjective, but if 350 out of 400 people have said it's really badly edited, or horribly racist, or something like that, it's a handy guide!

4. It has giveaways - they like you to review the books you win but you don't have to and not doing so doesn't mean you don't get books. I've won free books twice (huzzah!).

5. It's a handy place to keep my 'wants' list.

6. Occasionally their recommendations are good.

They also have stuff like Q&A sessions with authors, and groups and discussions, and you can choose to be notified of new books by authors you've read... these aren't things I use but I know some people like them. Also you can link your account to facebook - again, something I don't do but you can if you want.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 18:40 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I have an account but never log in. I think you only need to log in if you want to see your friends' reviews.

I use it to look at book details and reviews, most frequently in connection with my book group. I look at what I think might be suitable titles for us and read the reviews. Life is too short to choose a book that we won't enjoy. Also I refresh my mind just before our meeting so that I have some intelligent comments to make. :lol: You can also do this for books recommended if you're not sure if they will be your sort.

I like the reviews slightly better than those on Amazon but that's just a personal opinion. However the Look Inside on Amazon Kindle can also help you decide if you're going to enjoy a title.

I presume you've found the search box but if not, scroll down. You don't have to log in to do this.

I'm interested to see what else it can be used for - so looking forward to more answers. Indeed as I was typing this Abbey has given more reasons!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 22:28 

Thank you, Abbey and TheFrau.

I think I do a lot of those things in other ways and in other places. I use Amazon recommendations, or recommendations here, or from friends, to find books I might like. Rather than look at reviews, I download samples to my Kindle to see if I might like the writing style, and I use my Amazon wishlist to keep track of books I might want to buy. I follow blogs of favourite authors such as Jodi Taylor to keep track of when new books are coming out.

I've dipped into a couple of the discussion groups in the past, but other things got in the way and I didn't manage to keep up. I might try to give it another go.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 22:40 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Ooh, I forgot one: it's excellent for posting utterly scathing reviews of books that annoyed you to the marrow. :rofl:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 23:11 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I find Goodreads very useful for often having a synopsis (either in the introduction or the individual reviews) of some of the more obscure books that interest me, whereas Wikipedia often doesn't. In that way it's good for working out where (and how significantly) such titles fit in an author's work, and whether the book is worth pursuing, especially if it's expensive! (£100 for a comb-bound photocopy of M Pardoe's May Madrigal - I don't think so...)

I do also enjoy reading the reviews and comparing them with my own opinion, occasionally getting a little fractious in the process ("You must be unobservant as well as an ignoramus - somebody already told you that Noel Streatfeild didn't write a 'Shoes' series as such - that's just Marketing Boll**ks!").

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 01:04 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

I don't have a Goodreads account and only look at it to find synopses that I can't find elsewhere.

Looking at the various lists - I can't say that I am impressed and they do suggest to me that Goodread readers are, in general, not my sort of reader.

(People on here not being "in general" readers")

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 11:44 

Quote:
I find Goodreads very useful for often having a synopsis (either in the introduction or the individual reviews) of some of the more obscure books that interest me

Some of the synopses have major spoilers in them, though. The one for The Unpleasntness at the Bellona Club gives away several of the steps by which the mystery is developed - including the crucial question of what was missing from the General's coat, which DLS deliberately holds back to allow the reader time to work it out for him/herself.

Quote:
... they do suggest to me that Goodread readers are, in general, not my sort of reader.

Reading some of the discussions, I get the impression that many of them are quite young, and find it difficult to get their heads around anything that's outside their direct experience. And yes, as Noreen said, reiterating points that have been answered or explained three times already in the discussion!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 15:28 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I love Goodreads. I don't write much at all any more, but I do enjoy crafting reviews of what I read so as to give other potential readers a flavour of the book, and reasons to read or avoid. Because the vast majority of my reading is of 'old' stuff, sometimes I find I am the first reviewer of a book, so I feel some sort of responsibility.
I don't use any of the lists, or join the discussions - I take from the site what suits me, I'm all in favour of anything that encourages reading!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:19