Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 09:02

Post subject: Swiss glacier reveals couple lost in 1942
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 23:19 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Fascinated to read the story of two bodies lost 75 years ago that have been found in a shrinking Swiss glacier. The lost people's children never gave up hope that their bodies would be found.

It reminded me of the story Hilary told in New Mistress (IIRC) of the woman who had lost her husband and waited for years to see his body emerge. One of the most moving of EBD's stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40645745

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Swiss glacier reveals couple lost in 1942
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 07:43 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

That's so sad :cry:.

I've got mixed feelings about the way the CS girls discuss the similar story, though. Sybil sensibly says that, sad as it was, the widow should have gone home and tried to rebuild her life. Mary-Lou disagrees ... and then, rather bizarrely, says that at least the widow never had to see her husband age and go bald! How is your husband dying with a full head of hair supposed to console you for being widowed in your 20s, on your honeymoon? And I know it sounds romantic in a sentimental way, but I think Sybil had a very good point, and I'm not sure most people would want their partner to give up their life to wait around for 30 years like that.

The real life story is very sad :( .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 19:17 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Sybil was far more sensible in that discussion but I always feel like we're supposed to agree with Mary Lou! Such a strange perspective.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 20:30 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I saw this story too but did not read it. I would think it better to get on with life but people feel differently and look at things differently. In a way we don't know until it happens to us. Maybe widow (CS) felt her life was wasted anyway without her husband - just her viewpoint.

I know it sounds peculiar what the widow (CS again) said about her husband's appearance at least always staying young. Probably just clutching at straws but maybe ( personal experience ) just a grain of truth although the appearance never, never, ever makes up for the loss. Is it not just echoing though the words of the war poem about the dead soldiers not growing weary etc?

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 19:12 
Going for a walk
Going for a walk

Alison H wrote:
I've got mixed feelings about the way the CS girls discuss the similar story, though. Sybil sensibly says that, sad as it was, the widow should have gone home and tried to rebuild her life. Mary-Lou disagrees ... and then, rather bizarrely, says that at least the widow never had to see her husband age and go bald! How is your husband dying with a full head of hair supposed to console you for being widowed in your 20s, on your honeymoon?

:lol: :lol: Teenagers can have wildly diverging views on things, and I must say that comment seems to me to epitomise ML's very matter-of-fact view of life. She does tend to have very differing views from the majority, and no fear of voicing them, either. How I wish I had had that sort of self-confidence as a youngster. *sighs*

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 14:12 
Being rude to your sheepdog

I always found it very haunting as a story - it's also great when something in the books shows up in Real Life because that's proof they aren't fiction at all :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 14:36 
First Lesson
First Lesson

The sad thing is that the deceased person does not remain as they were, look at that recent story.The pictures/reality do not show two unmarked bodies and I think if a widow expected it too she would be disappointed, even shocked.
Sybil's comment about getting on with life is, to me, the sensible one.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 09:02