Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:50

Post subject: Re: EBD's medical knowledge
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 20:27 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

lizco wrote:
No serious illnesses but who remembers the agony of chilblains? Do they still occur?

I get them at times, mainly on my fingers. I have poor circulation though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 04:43 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Kate wrote:
lizco wrote:
No serious illnesses but who remembers the agony of chilblains? Do they still occur?

I get them at times, mainly on my fingers. I have poor circulation though.

I get chilblains but usually only on my right hand (I've got nerve damage in my neck that affects my upper limbs, with the right side worse than the left). However this winter, after getting a few chilblains I remembered to wear gloves every day when walking the dogs, and I didn't get any more.

But I live in Australia, where it rarely gets to freezing temperature overnight. I imagine I would have more problems with chilblains if I lived in a cold climate.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 17:34 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

I tend to get mine with changes of temperature, not with extreme cold. I get them a lot when I go on holidays to warm places, because it's hot outside but then cool inside with aircon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 14:30 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

The winter of 62/3 was the first one I remember suffering from chilblains - I would have been 7 at the time. I continued to suffer them for several winters, but I haven't for many years now.

I'm not sure I grew out of them. I think it's more to do with the generally milder winters.

I also remember my fingers turning white and becoming numb when we were doing outdoor games lessons at grammar school. We played on area of common land near the school , which was very exposed. Even more memorable was the pain, as the feeling returned to my hands!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 16:22 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Glasses. In CS-land, they seem to act like braces on teeth: you wear them as a teenager, and then your vision is magically corrected and you don't need them any more. Where did that idea come from?!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 17:27 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

One's sight does change in ones teens. I became more short-sighted in the short-sighted eye, but I think the long-sighted one improved. Then I types a thesis and the squint no-one had noticed took over...
To cut a long story short - I can now see across a room with one eye but can no longer read with it - the other needs +6.5 for reading AND the squint is playing up again.

I know the angle of astigmatism can change (mine has) but Bride's disappearing...

We need Beecharmer on this!

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 18:34 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I originally had glasses when I started school because to correct a squint. Sadly then they realised that I was also short-sighted so although my squint was corrected I continue to wear glasses many decades later.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 19:32 
Learning the difference - can and may

cal562301 wrote:
The winter of 62/3 was the first one I remember suffering from chilblains - I would have been 7 at the time. I continued to suffer them for several winters, but I haven't for many years now.

I'm not sure I grew out of them. I think it's more to do with the generally milder winters.

I also remember my fingers turning white and becoming numb when we were doing outdoor games lessons at grammar school. We played on area of common land near the school , which was very exposed. Even more memorable was the pain, as the feeling returned to my hands!

Fingers turning numb and white - Is that not Raynaud's disease? My hands used to go like this when hanging out the washing in not such freezing weather. Just an extreme reaction to cold.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 20:13 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

A lot of people wear glasses as children and through formal education but give them up as adults - less need for reading and writing. My husband had the same pair of glasses for close work from the age of 17 to 35, and only replaced them when his Dad stood on them! Now in his 50's he wears them ( or contact lenses ) all the time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 21:37 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Isn't hot milk supposed to contain tryptophan or something, which does help sleep?

Meanwhile, my mother recalls the winter of 1958/9, when the house was unheated and she said she had chilblains going up the back of her legs, and told my father that even if we didn't eat much the next winter, we had to have proper heating! I remember lovely paraffin heaters (lovely smell!), and being snuggled up in bed, although hot-water bottles were reserved for illness. And frost on the insides of the windows, especially at school.

I still prefer a cool bedroom and open window. In the motor home it's lovely when it's cold - we wrap up in thick pyjamas and bedsocks, with hot-water bottles and maybe even a rug over the duvet, and are lovely and warm, even when it was -20 C outside (this was a mistake, as the insulation on the water pipes wasn't quite up to it, so we had no running water in the morning, and no heating, either. Sleeping in a cold van is one thing; dressing in one quite another!).

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 00:38 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Isn't hot milk supposed to contain tryptophan or something, which does help sleep?

The "trytophan helps sleep" is true - for some types of sleep - and is exactly the opposite for others.
In any case, a single glass of milk would not deliver a therapeutic dose. Research suggests that warm milk does not help sleep except, perhaps, as a "comforter".

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 07:46 

It was one of those very popular old wives' tales. Even in the 1980s, one of my teachers used to be obsessed with the idea that we should all have a hot milky drink before bedtime on the night before an exam!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 09:38 

I find hot milk makes me nice and sleepy. Of course, I don't drink hot milk unless it's got brandy or rum, and a bit of vanilla, and some honey or molasses, and maybe some cinnamon in it.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 12:44 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

jennifer wrote:
I find hot milk makes me nice and sleepy. Of course, I don't drink hot milk unless it's got brandy or rum, and a bit of vanilla, and some honey or molasses, and maybe some cinnamon in it.

Mmm, that's sounding nice!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:50