Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics


Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:19



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 13:01 
Offline
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2009, 14:53
Posts: 1396
Location: Cheshire
JayB wrote:
Partly that publishers can't afford the detailed editing processes they used to have, and also partly, I suspect, that very few people under fifty actually know how to use an apostrophe correctly.

Round about the early-mid '70s, the idea took hold that you mustn't stifle children's creativity by teaching them punctuation, so no-one was taught how to use apostrophes. Or what a verb is, or how to punctuate dialogue, and so on.


I know there was a shift then, Jay. But I've never agreed. Early correction of grammar, spelling, etc, certainly never cramped my style, and I still have a very vivid imagination, though I don't write so much fiction these days.

Having said that, even at 'grammar' school in the late 60s/early 70s, I was taught very little formal grammar.

I've also come to the conclusion over the years, that some of us are instinctively good spellers. I just 'know', even sometimes with words I don't recognise immediately, how to spell.

On the other hand, I know quite a few otherwise very intelligent and articulate people, who struggle with the vagaries of English spelling. Many of them are over 50.

Incidentally, I found my instinct useful when learning Spanish, as I remember my first teacher telling us that some people would find the language easier than others. This is because there are vowel changes in some verb forms (too complicated to explain here, look it up if you're interested, sorry!). I have always known instinctively when the vowel should change, whereas some of my classmates struggled with that. In that early class, we were all doing O level Spanish alongside A level French, so we must all have had some capacity for learning languages.

_________________
''He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 17:38 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2675
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
I agree about the instinctive spelling gene Cal, and I am interested to note that it has transferred to Czech for me in relation to the soft "i" and hard "y" as the Czechs call them. (Both sound the same - as in "is" and both are called "i").

Young Czechs struggle to learn which goes where but I have rarely got it wrong.

I don't believe for one instant that teaching correct grammar and punctuation stifles creativity. My daughter just escaped that nonsense, my son, 3 years younger "benefited" from it. :(

The bad news on the instinctive spelling front is that I am not the only one of my age group, and older, who is now starting to struggle with spelling occasionally. Yet another marker of what may be to come....

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 18:00 
Offline
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2008, 15:51
Posts: 159
Location: London
cestina wrote:
I agree about the instinctive spelling gene Cal, and I am interested to note that it has transferred to Czech for me in relation to the soft "i" and hard "y" as the Czechs call them. (Both sound the same - as in "is" and both are called "i").

Young Czechs struggle to learn which goes where but I have rarely got it wrong.

I don't believe for one instant that teaching correct grammar and punctuation stifles creativity. My daughter just escaped that nonsense, my son, 3 years younger "benefited" from it. :(

The bad news on the instinctive spelling front is that I am not the only one of my age group, and older, who is now starting to struggle with spelling occasionally. Yet another marker of what may be to come....


How I envy you. I can't spell even in "phonetic" languages and have to do everything the hard way. Alas my photographic memory is not what it used to be...

I used to transpose syllables, not just letters. Some very weird spellings resulted and I couldn't work out what was wrong.

It was also strange how many words were spelt d,i,c,t,i,o,n,a,r,y.

_________________
"Lack of planning on your part does not necessarily mean an emergency on mine"

"Association does not infer causality"


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 16:01 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2675
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
I have just been trawling ebay for a brass bed (twelfth scale of course) and am annoyed to note that the site has chosen to adopt the phrase "pre-owned" to replace what they have used so far, namely good old "second-hand".

What with this, and learning that it is now common to describe collectors' items that are no longer in production as "retired", (e.g Hummel figurines), I am once again left wondering what is happening to the English language.

How can an inanimate object be "retired"? It has never had a job in its life!

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 16:39 
Offline
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2004, 13:57
Posts: 7228
Location: Manchester
"Pre-owned" isn't too bad compared with "pre-loved", which is often used as a euphemism for "second-hand" when referring to books :lol: .

_________________
We really must stop eating like this ...

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/




Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 16:42 
Offline
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:41
Posts: 2675
Location: Czech Republic and Herts UK
Alison H wrote:
"Pre-owned" isn't too bad compared with "pre-loved", which is often used as a euphemism for "second-hand" when referring to books :lol: .

That's true.....

_________________
Cestina's dolls houses - "I'm a train..."


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 19:17 
Offline
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

Joined: 29 May 2009, 18:01
Posts: 226
Location: North west Germany
Alison H wrote:
"Pre-owned" isn't too bad compared with "pre-loved", which is often used as a euphemism for "second-hand" when referring to books :lol: .


Does pre-loved means that the book is particularly dog-eared with dodgy binding from lots of re-reading? :lol:

The Chambers hardbacks in my CS collection are definitely loved. However they are not dog-eared or falling apart as I take care when re-reading them. The older ones no longer have pristine white pages though.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 05:44 
Offline
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 02:45
Posts: 760
"Give something for cancer"

Why? Is cancer homeless, abused, otherwise worthy of support?

Or did you, dear street collector, mean "cancer research" or cancer patients"?


Also
"Up to half price or less".
Supermarket meaning: Goods are reduced. The maximum reduction is 50% of the original price but many goods are reduced by a smaller percentage.
Actual meaning: Goods are reduced by a minimum of 50%.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 18:09 
Offline
Getting all your textbooks for lessons
User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2004, 12:53
Posts: 85
Location: swansea united kingdom
Victoria wrote:

"Up to half price or less".
Supermarket meaning: Goods are reduced. The maximum reduction is 50% of the original price but many goods are reduced by a smaller percentage.
Actual meaning: Goods are reduced by a minimum of 50%.


'Up to' is usually used when a lesser specific isn't available (eg. up to 30%) as it covers all discounts up to the particular specific. I.e. the discount MAY be 50%. On the other hand, it may not!!! Head offices are crafty that way...........! :roll:

_________________
fio


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 22:47 
Offline
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 02:45
Posts: 760
fio wrote:
Victoria wrote:

"Up to half price or less".
Supermarket meaning: Goods are reduced. The maximum reduction is 50% of the original price but many goods are reduced by a smaller percentage.
Actual meaning: Goods are reduced by a minimum of 50%.


'Up to' is usually used when a lesser specific isn't available (eg. up to 30%) as it covers all discounts up to the particular specific. I.e. the discount MAY be 50%. On the other hand, it may not!!! Head offices are crafty that way...........! :roll:


But it still isn't the PRICE that's "up to", it's the reduction! If they said "up to 50% (or half-price) off", they would be correct.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 22:58 
Offline
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 22:35
Posts: 1314
Location: Berkshire, England
Victoria wrote:
fio wrote:
Victoria wrote:

"Up to half price or less".
Supermarket meaning: Goods are reduced. The maximum reduction is 50% of the original price but many goods are reduced by a smaller percentage.
Actual meaning: Goods are reduced by a minimum of 50%.


'Up to' is usually used when a lesser specific isn't available (eg. up to 30%) as it covers all discounts up to the particular specific. I.e. the discount MAY be 50%. On the other hand, it may not!!! Head offices are crafty that way...........! :roll:


But it still isn't the PRICE that's "up to", it's the reduction! If they said "up to 50% (or half-price) off", they would be correct.



The local buses say something similar - "up to every 15 minutes" when they mean the most frequent buses are 15 minutes apart, but some times of the day they are less frequent. Annoys me every time I see it!


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 14:29 
Offline
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2004, 13:57
Posts: 7228
Location: Manchester
I've just been e-mailed a copy of the "Chirstmas party" menu at the venue booked for the annual office meal out.

I'm sorely tempted to suggest that we scrap it and book a different venue on principle! Does no-one proof-read anything any more?!

_________________
We really must stop eating like this ...

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/




Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 22:21 
Offline
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort
User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2006, 13:28
Posts: 869
Location: SE England
Quote:
Does no-one proof-read anything any more?!

Earlier this week I was looking at the website of a place where an organisation I'm involved with has been trying to book accommodation for meetings. The number of errors is appalling. The name of the room we want is spelled in two different ways.

And they've completely buggered up our booking, and are blaming it on someone who has now left. All round impression is of a total lack of professionalism. The venue itself, and the location, are great, the admin is dreadful.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2017, 20:13 
Offline
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
User avatar

Joined: 24 Dec 2012, 15:26
Posts: 563
Location: South Wales
Alison H wrote:
I've just been e-mailed a copy of the "Chirstmas party" menu at the venue booked for the annual office meal out.


Likewise. Our invite says "Black tie and ball gowns". Did they think a simple "black tie" would have led to confusion? "Oh, black tie for the chaps, I'll wear t-shirt and jeans."

That said, they don't nail down who has to wear what. Maybe one of my male friends will lend me their evening suit... :devil:


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2017, 20:48 
Offline
Getting all your textbooks for lessons
User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2004, 12:53
Posts: 85
Location: swansea united kingdom
Jayne wrote:

Likewise. Our invite says "Black tie and ball gowns". Did they think a simple "black tie" would have led to confusion? "Oh, black tie for the chaps, I'll wear t-shirt and jeans."

That said, they don't nail down who has to wear what. Maybe one of my male friends will lend me their evening suit... :devil:


I can just imagine a drag queen going to that................!? :shock:

_________________
fio


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 22:31 
Offline
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
User avatar

Joined: 24 Dec 2012, 15:26
Posts: 563
Location: South Wales
fio wrote:
I can just imagine a drag queen going to that................!? :shock:


At our Civil Partnership one of our male friends came in a big frock. We thought it was fantastic, he had a good time, but my parents have _never_ acknowledged it happened.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:39 
Offline
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Joined: 29 Dec 2009, 15:11
Posts: 382
Jayne wrote:
fio wrote:
I can just imagine a drag queen going to that................!? :shock:


At our Civil Partnership one of our male friends came in a big frock. We thought it was fantastic, he had a good time, but my parents have _never_ acknowledged it happened.


:D :D :D

Have just seen sign outside shop "30% off nightware" - am I alone in thinking this price reduction refers to the sort of pots that (used to) go under the bed?


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:52 
Offline
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2008, 15:51
Posts: 159
Location: London
I hadn't come across that. My gradmother called them"gzunders" , but my immediate reaction was to hope that the original garment was full length...

_________________
"Lack of planning on your part does not necessarily mean an emergency on mine"

"Association does not infer causality"


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 09:44 
Offline
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2008, 18:21
Posts: 451
Location: East Sussex
Jayne wrote:
fio wrote:
I can just imagine a drag queen going to that................!? :shock:


At our Civil Partnership one of our male friends came in a big frock. We thought it was fantastic, he had a good time, but my parents have _never_ acknowledged it happened.

As long as he wasn't trying to upstage both of you. :lol:

_________________
http://www.timwoodward.weebly.com


Top | End
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 22:29 
Offline
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson
User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2015, 20:29
Posts: 318
Location: East Yorkshire, UK
Victoria wrote:
"Up to half price or less".
Supermarket meaning: Goods are reduced. The maximum reduction is 50% of the original price but many goods are reduced by a smaller percentage.
Actual meaning: Goods are reduced by a minimum of 50%.

I often listen to a Canadian Internet radio station. An advertisement they are currently playing is for a Toronto store where, the excited narrator informs me, many items are 50, 75 or even 100 per cent off! I can't see them making much money with that sort of approach.


Top | End
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 07:19

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fraujackson and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group