Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 01:40

Post subject: Re: Sporting injuries
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 17:56 
...and Results
...and Results

Thinking about it, shcool sports aren't nearly as established here as they are in England, but on a weekly (and sometimes daily)n basis, I see a lot of minor injuries that I have to send to a doctor for stitching, and relatively few orthopedic type injuries of the sort caused by sport.

Part of that is culture, but there is also a lot more protective equipment around now. The other day I treated one boy for minor injuries when he crashed his bike into a wall, but if he hadn't beed wearing a helmet, I would have been dealing with much more widespread wounds, and probaly concussion as well. Maybe the CS was just ahead of it's tiome when it came to protwective equipment. :?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 12:03 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

I suppose this loosely comes under sporting injuries, and it didn't seem important enough to start a new thread for it.

In between heavy snow showers we're having very bright sunshine, and when I was out yesterday I really understood the possibility of snowblindness, even though I have glasses that darken in the sunshine.

Was it Emerence who gave herself snowblindness once by not wearing her goggles?

I wonder how girls who wore glasses managed with the goggles?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 12:26 
...and Results
...and Results

WE don't actually see it, but Emerence was reported to have had snow blindness, having taken off her goggles when she was 'an ass of a kid'.

On being told the story as warning, Naomi responds that 'Not being an ass of a kid,' she certainly won't remove her goggles, and which Emerence goes 'darkly red'. I don't remember if we ever heard that about Emerence before, or if it was a newly created piece of history to give another example of Naomi's ascerbic manner.

I think someone (Evadne?) in the Tyrol was also meant to have removed her goggles, which was never dealt with in the text, but the story was used by a fill-in author.

Very few of the girls wore glasses - Bride was the only one we hear about, and it emphasized that this was unusual. Ricki had to wear glasses, but only temporarily as the result of an accident. The only other reference to glasses that I can think of is that Miss Annersley never needed them! I suppose they would just had had to cope as well as they could. They might even have taken off their glasses in order to wear the goggles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 12:36 

Quote:
Emerence was reported to have had snow blindness, having taken off her goggles when she was 'an ass of a kid'.

Not that much of a kid - she was fourteen when they went to the Oberland, wasn't she? But then Emerence was an ass in some ways pretty much until she left school. But I think she always acted several years younger than her age.

Quote:
They might even have taken off their glasses in order to wear the goggles.

That wouldn't have been very safe - if a very shortsighted girl, for example, couldn't see the other skiers properly or judge their speed accurately.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 14:49 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

You just have to stack them. I do that sometimes with sunglasses, because prescription sunglasses are too expensive to justify for the 2 weeks out of the year that we get sunshine enough to use them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 15:03 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

You can get sun goggles to go over ordinary specs. My son can't see clearly six feet in front of himself but has skied quite happily, complete with goggles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 16:15 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Re the people who wear glasses in the CS - Mary Murrell 'touches her spectacles nervously' in 'Feud', but since she belongs really to the inferior St Hilda's, that doesn't count.
I not only wear glasses for short sight but have a fixed non-reactive pupil on one side, and a defective optic nerve on the other, so snow and sunshine is a nightmare even with dark glasses. Another reason I'd never be a good Chalet girl!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 00:47 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

If you google "1950's ski goggles" some of the images that come up look like they'd fit over glasses fairly well, and are more like a scuba mask than swim goggles. So the girls with glasses would probably have to do a bit of adjustment to tie them on so they wouldn't slip, but would be able to wear them.

I find clip-on sunglasses aren't very useful in extremely bright situations, as you get a lot of glare leaking in from the sides. It won't necessarily give you snow blindness, as it's not direct, but it will give you a headache and eye strain.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 11:37 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I wear my prescription sunnies to drive on a fairly regular basis, especially over the winter. Mind you both my pairs of glasses live in the car as I only wear them to drive and watch Only Connect.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 00:27 
Being rude to your sheepdog

The only injury I remember from school, was the head of RE getting an ice skate through her skull on a school trip. It was nasty.

However just recently amongst my friends children we have had: one broken collar bone from playing school PE rugby,
One broken arm from gymnastics.
Two fractured wrists from a school sporting injury (can't remember the sport.)

And I won't mention the trampoline park injuries, because those don't count!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 13:09 
...and Results
...and Results

If a friend's recent experience is anything to go by, it's nothing short of miraculous how few skiing injuries there were. Said friend has just returned from Austria, on crutches and wearing a knee brace, having torn a ligament. She was slowly making her way back to base after a lesson when she fell awkwardly. She had to be stretchered to the clinic. On arrival, it was empty, but by the time she left it was apparently heaving with people who'd had accidents.

In addition, many, many years ago, I worked in an office in Queen's Building at Heathrow. The office windows overlooked airside and there was a "finger" right by one window where the passengers, having disembarked from the buses, entered the main terminal building. We always knew when a flight had come from one of the winter sports countries as, after all the other passengers had disappeared, there'd always be a few either in wheelchairs or on crutches bringing up the rear.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 13:38 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Victoria Beckham and Lady Louise Windsor are amongst the casualties of the current ski-ing season! Obviously they weren't supervised by expert Chalet School prefects.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 15:29 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Not a sporting injury per se, but Jack nearly strangles herself climbing a tree and has to be rescued by Jane. I'm a bit surprised the school has no rules about climbing trees since there's a good chance of a) getting hurt if you fall and b) tearing the heck out of your clothing and incurring Matron's wrath.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 18:48 

Alison H wrote:
Victoria Beckham and Lady Louise Windsor are amongst the casualties of the current ski-ing season! Obviously they weren't supervised by expert Chalet School prefects.

Lady Louise, since she was about ten years old (she's now fourteen), has looked just as I imagine the young Mary Lou, so she is obviously destined to be a Chalet School prefect!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 09:51 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Someone mentioned Bert Trautmann upthread and I can think of a couple of other instances of players playing through an injury - Phil Jagielka playing for Everton with a nasty hamstring injury (our fans praised him for playing through the pain), and Karen Bardsley managing to play for England for 15 minutes or so with a broken leg. Which was almost like something out of a GO story, but with football instead of hockey. As for PE-related injuries, I badly hurt my hand in a basketball game - I think someone tackled me and slammed their hand down on mine - and got whacked in the face with a tennis racquet in primary school. That hurt.

Wrong was the only one I remember with the sports injuries, and Kat Gordon saving the day because Nita broke her collarbone on the court, another girl had a migraine and Blossom was locked in the art room. I don't remember anyone getting injured in a lacrosse match though. No-one was injured in the big one in Ruey.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 11:15 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Lotte wrote:
Wrong was the only one I remember with the sports injuries, and Kat Gordon saving the day because Nita broke her collarbone on the court, another girl had a migraine and Blossom was locked in the art room. I don't remember anyone getting injured in a lacrosse match though. No-one was injured in the big one in Ruey.
There's the bit in Challenge where Tessa de Bersac gets a black eye playing lacrosse during the same afternoon as Lesley Anderson's chipped elbow (the hockeygate incident) - I agree that for a game with so much injury potential that's surprising, though.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 01:40