Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 05:26

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Year whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 19:59 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

I would say contact the RSPCA, but that wouldn't help with your relationship with the neighbour, so I don't know what to suggest. ((((hugs))))

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 20:52 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thanks! His attitude is that the dog can't be expected to be quiet. Some people are like that with little kids, but at least little kids don't bark at loud volumes or head butt fences!!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 07:42 
Buying your school uniform

How annoying, the owner should never have been allowed to have this dog. I feel sorry for it. Stuck inside/stuck outside with nothing to do but voice its complaints. Is there a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals that you can contact anonymously? Perhaps this might help?

On another note, I am swamped in gardening work. I have 1/2 a dozen or so of cucumber plants that for some reason are producing on average 3 cucumbers every day. I like cucumbers but I have lost my interest and taste buds for any of them. I discovered that there is a Wildlife park close by and they will take any and all fruit/vegetables that people don't want. So I have been trekking there daily to leave my cucumbers in the food bins for the animals. It makes my day to realize that I might be making a monkey's life extra special...

On a more pathetic note, we have 4 fruit trees that have produced apples and peaches for the neighbour's dog! And, the bears that wander through in the middle of the night, but none for us. I've been seen, by my husband, begging for fruit from my neighbour. Oh dear, what it is to be reduced to a beggar!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 07:47 

Yes, there's the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, but unfortunately it'd be pretty obvious who'd contacted it! I did mutter about recording the noise: I'm hoping that might have had some impact.

I love the idea of making a monkey's day!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 10:04 
Giving a Junior an order mark

I like dogs, but am most relieved that our next-door-neighbour re-housed the ex-guard dog that he considered keeping at home - large young male German Shepherd, in a small terraced house with low fences, in a built-up area with busy roads. Some folk should definitely only have animals of the battery=operated kind! So I sympathise, Alison - contrary to what your neighbour implies, I think that in law he is responsible for his dog's behaviour. Like all nuisances, I think all you can do is gather evidence and present it to the council. Good luck, anyway!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 12:23 

Thanks. I may quote the Environmental Protection Act at him! At least, now it's getting cooler and darker, he'll probably be more inclined to keep the horrible animal inside, so at least it won't be able to terrorise me if I'm in the garden!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 13:52 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

The neighbour is certainly responsible for the dog's behaviour, although how bad it would have to be before anyone took action I don't know.

Don't think the RSPCA would do anything, the dog isn't being kept in ideal conditions but it doesn't sound like it's actually neglected. Best of luck anyway Alison.

I wish we had a wildlife park nearby where we could offload our cucumber glut.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 21:16 
Buying your school uniform

Perhaps you could toss a squeeky toy or a chew bone over the fence the next time he tries to bash his way through. It might divert his attention.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019, 21:26 

The horrible vicious animal hasn't been seen today, but sadly I think that's because it's been raining rather than because the owner took any notice!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 06:07 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Hugs to everyone! Alison, sounds very frustrating!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 09:51 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Alison, is the fence yours or your neighbour's? If it's yours then you can replace the damaged bit (at his expense possibly?). If it's his, he should have a duty of care to maintain it I think. After all, if it's THAT aggressive and it gets out, he would be paying a lot more in compensation for any injuries caused to anyone..........! Try advising him of that as "friendly" advice. .........!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 11:03 

He's agreed to mend the fence. I just wish he'd have the dog re-housed, preferably a million miles away in the middle of nowhere, where it isn't disturbing or intimidating anyone! Another neighbour's also got an annoying dog which is left alone in the garden all day and barks, but that's a little yappy thing so at least the barking isn't deafening and it doesn't constantly look as if it'd like to rip someone's throat out.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 13:05 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Many year ago a neighbour had two (large) Alsatians. One jumped up at me and knocked me against a fence. I'm 5ft 3 and was shy of eight stone. "O she won't hurt you" so I replied how would she like something as big to her as that 9deleted0 dog was to me jumping up at her?

It, of course, hadn't crossed her mind.

The later outcome was that several people acting together complained to the council and she did have to restrain them.

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 21:13 

Sympathies! I hate that. A great big vicious dog jumps at either a person or a smaller dog, and the response you get is "Oh, she/he won't hurt you/them". or else the owner reprimands the dog but doesn't apologise to the victim!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 07:48 

On the other hand, neither am I impressed with "I should warn you that my dog will try to go for your cat" (fortunately in a stout cat-basket) from another person waiting to be seen at the vet. (This is many years ago, of course, and unlikely to happen these days - most vets' waiting rooms are supervised now, at least intermittently). Another one who had to be reminded of her legal responsibilities - maybe she just wanted the place to herself, or didn't like cats? The dog looked like a nice dog, and singularly unruffled, anyway!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 13:59 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I had a similar experience Noreen. However, I was pleased to be able to reply that my cat tended to intimidate dogs rather than the other way around! We had two large German shepherds next door to us when Purrdy was just a kitten and he managed to outface both of them. In fact, one became quite besotted with him!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 21:53 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Noreen wrote:
On the other hand, neither am I impressed with "I should warn you that my dog will try to go for your cat" (fortunately in a stout cat-basket) from another person waiting to be seen at the vet. (This is many years ago, of course, and unlikely to happen these days - most vets' waiting rooms are supervised now, at least intermittently). Another one who had to be reminded of her legal responsibilities - maybe she just wanted the place to herself, or didn't like cats? The dog looked like a nice dog, and singularly unruffled, anyway!

Our vet has a Cat Area with a little wall mostly around it. We're always directed in there to wait, while the dogs have the rest of the waiting area. It means the dogs can't see the cats and get excited, and the cats can't see the dogs and freak out. So far it seems to be respected, which is good - the dog owners have their dogs on leads, but let them roam around to the extent of it rather than keeping them close.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 22:51 

Yes, what a good idea - many of the animals are stressed out enough already, after all. We went to the Royal Veterinary College with our youngest cat recently, and they have separate waiting areas for cats and dogs. They have the space, of course, which not everyone does, but I can see this catching on.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019, 23:05 

Noreen wrote:
On the other hand, neither am I impressed with "I should warn you that my dog will try to go for your cat" (fortunately in a stout cat-basket) from another person waiting to be seen at the vet.

Our previous neighbour had cats and our Westie didn't like them even in their OWN back garden - mind you, when he was a puppy they used to sit on the wall and look smug when he was barking and bouncing at them! The new neighbour has a be able and it has a tendency to come over the wall into ours which irritates him even worse............!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019, 00:37 

Sorry, fio - what is it your new neighbour has?

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 05:26