Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 08:35

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Joey's friends in adult life
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 11:43 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Apart from Janie Lucy, was Joey ever seen to make new friends in her adult life? I know she kept in touch with friends from school, but I don't recall her having any close friends made in adulthood.

Surely a very popular children's writer would mix with a literary crowd, be invited to publishing events etc. But nothing like that was ever portrayed.

Joey must have been very lonely after the war when Robin and Daisy went to University, Frieda and Simone left the UK and Madge headed off for a prolonged stay in Canada. I think Janey Lucy also moved back to Guernsey.

Joey was presented at school as a gregarious person who made friends easily. Yet as an adult she seemed to have very few friends around her that weren't connected to the school.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:09 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Do you count Winnie Emery as a school friend? She seems to be Joey's closest friend in the later books. She's also friendly with Helen Graves from the San and Val Everett's mother.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Joey's friends in adult life
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:13 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Winnie Embury always struck me as a bit strange. When she first ran into the staff during a trip, she hadn't been in contact with anyone from the school for donkeys' years. Yet she was full of curiosity about Jo who I don't think had been a particular friend of hers at that point, and also couldn't wait to invite everyone to come and stay with her.
In real life, I think I'd be backing slowly away from her :)

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:19 

Sorry autocorrect! Embury, not Emery. I agree!

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:26 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

What about Phoebe Wychcote? She also makes very good friends with many of the mistresses who join the school after she leaves it, which cannot be seen as the same as those she made during her school years.

And with the challenges of travel in that era, I imagine publishing events of the sort that occur now almost constantly would have been far less common.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:37 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I would still see the staff as being connected to the school and while she's friendly with a lot of them I don't think any of them, apart from maybe Biddy, are really personal friends with a friendship that goes beyond school affairs and concerns - and Biddy would have started school while Jo was still there so kind of counts as an old school friend.

I know I need to get a life, but I was just wondering who Joey really confided in about things, or could invite over for a coffee and a moan and stuff like that after Frieda and Simone and Janie were no longer around?

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:48 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Joey and Winnie become bosom buddies very rapidly. I've got nothing against Winnie, but I always wonder why Joey spent so much time with her than with Frieda, who wasn't that far away. Hilary, Biddy and Phoebe were all on the Platz, as was Grizel in later years, and Lady Rutherford for a while, but I don't think Jo was all that close to any of them. I would think she wrote a lot of long letters to Madge.

It would be nice to think that Jo and Anna - and Madge and Marie - had a very close relationship, like Lady Mary Crawley and Anna Bates in Downton Abbey, but I don't think EBD was really into that sort of friendship between employer and domestic employee!

Jo doesn't really try to make friends outside the school, though, whereas we hear that Madge is very involved with the WI and the church ladies' committee and so on. I know she had a lot on with her work and her family, and I don't know whether there would even have been equivalent groups in the Gornetz Platz area, but she never seemed to try to get involved with anything away from the school.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 14:53 
Released!
Released!

Vintagejazz wrote:
I know I need to get a life, but I was just wondering who Joey really confided in about things, or could invite over for a coffee and a moan and stuff like that after Frieda and Simone and Janie were no longer around?

It seems to me that Hilda and Rosalie performed that function for her most of the time, especially during the time of Phil's illness.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 18:27 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

I wonder if that was the function Winnie performed.
She would not have been particularly close to many of the CS staff and she wasn't working for any member of the family so was "safe" to talk to and under no possible obligation. On the other hand, like Joey, she had a "long family" and was an ex-pat (perhaps also with few local acquaintances except those that were business connections of her husband

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 18:51 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Who knows what Joey got up to in Montreux when ostensibly staying with Winnie, or maybe I just have a suspicious mind.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 18:53 
Dashing off for your part in the play

When the school is on the island Jo and Jack and family have a holiday with the Christies and she seems quite friendly with Mrs Christie but it's Jack who was the original connection as he was friends with Michael ? Christie. There is also Mary-Lou's mother.

It could be though that in England and even Guernsey Joey did have other friends but they are not mentioned as not relevant to the CS and the story. Even in Carnbach I should think she must have got to know other women as her house was on a road.

In Switzerland it would have been difficult as her only choice of friends would have been from school staff or other doctors wives. I think there would bound to have been little spats amongst the wives and Joey must have had to watch her step at times and what she said, especially as Jack was in charge of the husbands.

I do think, as Mary says, that her main friends on the Platz were Hilda and Rosalie and that one of the reasons Hilda and Nell were split was to allow the development of Hilda's friendship with Jo.

The beauty of Winifred Embury was that she came with no baggage. If Frieda appeared quite frequently in the later books readers might have started asking about Gottfried and Jack really took Gottfried's place as regards the San.

Also Jo at times likes using people i.e.Primula in Joey Goes To The Oberland, Sybil in Rescue and Rudy Richardson, Robin, Len. Winifred seems to have been quite comfortably off with a tutor for her sons, nanny, presumably house staff. Joey could sit back a bit at Montreux in a way she could not have at Frieda's.

I think Jo probably did quite well in making friends until the claustrophobic Platz.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 04:16 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

There's the friend who connects her to the McDonalds, who appears to be no connection of the school.

Phoebe has no connection with the school and San when they meet, but that starts out as Joey rescuing the younger girl - hopefully, it turned into more of a friendship of equals.

I suspect that in England, Joey socialized mainly with school/san connections, because that was who was easiest to meet, but that she didn't have any difficulty forming at least basic friendships with other people - neighbours, people from church, etc. In Switzerland, it would be much harder. She doesn't seem to make friends with the locals, like in Austria, and the only other people are wives of doctors (many of whom are also school connections) and the school itself.

It's hard to say much about her relationship with Winnie, because we only see Winnie once, briefly. But that must have been a nice break from the Platz, with built in childcare when she was there.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 11:54 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I was re-reading the scene in Exile last night where Joey met Janie Lucey for the first time. They really seemed to click and it would have been nice if EBD had made a bit more of that friendship, instead of just harking back to Joey's quartette all of the time.

They had a huge amount in common; similar personalities, big families, kids at the same school. It would have been a very realistic friendship and would have added another dimension to Joey as an adult.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 13:21 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Chalet-world wadn't big enough for the both of them!

Although it also would have been difficult to regularly include Janie - Joey is in Switzerland because of the San, but there wouldn't be any reason for Janie to go out except a holiday/onset of TB (fortunately EBD didn't go down that road).

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 13:45 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

True. But during the Armishire years they lived near Joey, but we rarely heard of Joey and Janie doing stuff together; meeting for a chat etc over the nine or so years they were in Wales.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 14:19 

I'd like to have seen the friendship between Madge and Elizabeth, which must have been close as Elizabeth is Ailie's godmother, as well. We miss a lot of the time that the three Temple sisters and the two Bettany sisters might have bonded :D, because of the gaps in the books during and after the war years.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 14:36 

This all would have been nice to see...I think it's after the war that the books become much more 'school' focused, and EBD didn't have the time for the outside relationships we see in the earlier books. She tries to do it in the Swiss books, but the school's too isolated by that time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 01:16 

In one of the Guernsey books it mentions that Madge is friends with Anne Chester but it is Elizabeth who becomes one of Ailie's godmothers. I wonder if there was any chance of Anne being a godmother of Josette. Madge would have been on fthe island for a few months before Josette was born.

It also says in one of the holiday books that the Maynards had been on holiday in Guernsey. I can only guess that this was maybe the first or second full summer after they went to Switzerland. Steven was meant to have been taught some sport by one of the Chesters. Beth would still have been with the Maynards then unless they went for her wedding. I wonder if they stayed with Janey or Anne? The Ozannes could have still been in Guernsey but I think Jo might have been too much for Elizabeth.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 12:36 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

I would have thought Elizabeth would have got on perfectly fine with Joey, who was in many ways very like her own little sister, Janie. And Elizabeth's own sons were quite the live wires (Bad Bill!). Probably, she liked being around lively people with personalities rather unlike her own.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 14:27 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

She's friendly enough with Janey to pop in for breakfast in Highland Twins when the train is badly delayed. No notice, not even a telephone call from the station!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 08:35