Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 15:25

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: EBDism
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 12:02 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

I've just discovered another EBDism. I'm looking into Gertrud Steinbruecke's character for various reasons and have discovered that she left school at the same time as Grizel, having been given the role of Games Prefect when Grizel became Head Girl.

However, in Jo Returns:

Quote:
Our head-girl is Louise Redfield, and I know we can all trust her to follow worthily in the steps of those who have preceded her—Gisela Marani, Juliet Carrick, Grizel Cochrane, Gertrud Steinbrücke, Mary Burnett, and Jo Bettany.

I presume EBD was forgetting that she had appointed Bette Rincini as Head Girl and stuck Gertrud in by mistake, but it does boggle the mind a little...

Top | End

Post subject: Re: EBDism
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 12:36 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I was reading Exploits last night. In one scene Frieda arrives at Die Rosen with a group of pupils, is greeted by Madge and departs shortly after for her brother's house. A few minutes later she arrives at Die Rosen with a different group of girls, and Madge exclaims at her new hairstyle. :?

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 12:41 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I've noticed that one about Gertrud before. I know EBD didn't have computer databases etc, but, seeing as the school had only had 6 previous Head Girls by then, you'd think she could have got them right :lol:.

The scene in Jo Returns in which Jo muddles up two characters and then berates herself for not having made character lists always makes me laugh!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 13:09 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Alison, me too!

The EBDism that has been annoying me immensely from the age of six is the scene where they're going off to Guide camp in Wrong, and someone (Elfie Woodward, IIRC) is leader of two different patrols. On the same page!

My latest frustration is with Exile, where Joey knows there's no news of Bruno von Ahlen because Frieda wrote to congratulate her on being the mother of three... but when Frieda arrives at the school in the final chapter, she has no idea that Jo's even had one baby, never mind three! :banghead:

Regarding head girls though, EBD never can seem to remember who has been and who hasn't. Gertrud is a prime example, and also Daisy Venables. Interestingly, I think most of the girls whom she later assumes were HG but weren't were actually Games Pre.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 13:42 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

The EBDism that made me laugh recently was a scene in Island (I think) where Joey and a bunch of others are watching swimming races etc. whilst out in the harbour on the deck of the Sea Witch, and she falls about laughing at something and leans on Sarah Denny - the woman whose prime distinctive characteristic when first introduced was that she was terrified of water!

I'd happily try whatever therapy she underwent behind the scenes.

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 16:10 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

I think the list of previous head girls changes each time EBD mentions it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 11:38 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I was re reading The Lintons last night and after Thekla is expelled, EBD writes that she wrote to Mademoiselle LePattre 'many years later' to express her remorse.
But Mademoiselle LePattre died about four years after the incident so, whoever Thekla wrote to, it can't have been her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 12:03 

I think the best of the lot is when Herr Mensch has recently died in Problem, but is alive and well the following year in Coming of Age :roll: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 12:07 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Another one that annoys me is Molly and Dick coming home from India for good in Tom Tackles the Chalet School. But a couple of years later in Three Go they're still out in India and Peggy and Co are still living with Madge.

Also, in Lintons, Joey refers to her nephew as Noel and Frieda says she thought he was going to be called Jack and Joey replies that no, that was the original plan but he's now Noel. Yet he was referred to as Jackie for the rest of the series.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 12:11 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I guess EBD must have had an enormous pile of notebooks so it would hardly be surprising if she couldn't easily find whatever information. Or maybe she did it mostly from memory, or just didn't care that much? It does say in the biography that she wasn't very analytical.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 12:20 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Vintagejazz wrote:
Another one that annoys me is Molly and Dick coming home from India for good in Tom Tackles the Chalet School. But a couple of years later in Three Go they're still out in India and Peggy and Co are still living with Madge.

Tom Tackles isn't published until after Barbara and wasn't a stand alone book until Armada republished it. Rosalie, Tom Tackles and Mystery are full of EBDisms, especially Mystery.

I love reading the end of the fill-in books where the fill-in author is writing to explain exactly how they worked out how to explain the EBDisms which directly affect their book. I think it was a work of art for some of them to do this especially the one who wrote the fill-in the same term as Mystery.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 12:36 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Katharine wrote:
I guess EBD must have had an enormous pile of notebooks so it would hardly be surprising if she couldn't easily find whatever information. Or maybe she did it mostly from memory, or just didn't care that much? It does say in the biography that she wasn't very analytical.

But often she contradicts herself in the same book, or even in the same chapter. In Carola Storms she has a couple of scenes early in the book where Carola is in Joey's house to meet her father. Yet, later in the book when she's out for a walk with a friend, she stops to admire the house and wonders who lives there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 13:39 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Vintagejazz wrote:
I was re reading The Lintons last night and after Thekla is expelled, EBD writes that she wrote to Mademoiselle LePattre 'many years later' to express her remorse.
But Mademoiselle LePattre died about four years after the incident so, whoever Thekla wrote to, it can't have been her.

I think this is the EBDism I'm most willing to exonerate, as I view Mademoiselle's death as a product of the war, which naturally Elinor had no idea was going to happen when she was writing Lintons. :)

The Carola one has often annoyed me in the past, but actually now I sit and think about it, it could easily be explained by Carola just not being particularly aware of her surroundings the first time she went there--she was very excited to see her dad for the first time in years, but equally terrified of what he might say. So she was a little preoccupied. And maybe she just wasn't great with remembering locations. The second incident is something like six to eight weeks later, and I know I could easily forget a location I hadn't paid too much attention to initially in that space of time.

Another particularly exasperating EBDism for me is Peggy Burnett's age. You could get a really good Doctor Who crossover drabble out of trying to explain that! I swear she ages backwards for most of the Tyrol years, unlike Kitty who just freezes, whilst Mary grows up at an accelerated speed. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 14:14 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Fiona Mc wrote:
Tom Tackles...wasn't a stand alone book until Armada republished it.
Just a quibble, but I'd thought there weren't any Armadas until the 1960s - my Chambers Tom was published in 1955.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 15:35 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Vintagejazz wrote:

This was the first EBDism I spotted, because I read Exile long before the book Thekla is expelled in, so when I first read about her writing 'many years later' I was completely lost!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 18:07 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

EBD often mentioned the future without actually planning the plot. IIRC at the end of Carola, Grizel goes off to NZ and EBD says she comes back 5(?) years later a much improved and happier woman or something to that effect. In fact G comes back depressed and embittered.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 19:54 
Bored
Bored

Vintagejazz wrote:
But often she contradicts herself in the same book, or even in the same chapter. In Carola Storms she has a couple of scenes early in the book where Carola is in Joey's house to meet her father. Yet, later in the book when she's out for a walk with a friend, she stops to admire the house and wonders who lives there.

You have no idea how easy it is to make mistakes like that until you've written over a million words of your story! :twisted: Fortunately I'm a fanatic at editing, but I still find mistakes in ND after posting - or other people tell me about them. :roll: Having notebooks - or notes on the computer - doesn't always help, and I do sometimes sympathise with the woman! :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 19:57 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

Mel wrote:
EBD often mentioned the future without actually planning the plot. IIRC at the end of Carola, Grizel goes off to NZ and EBD says she comes back 5(?) years later a much improved and happier woman or something to that effect. In fact G comes back depressed and embittered.

Hm, again it might not be as it seems. Grizel does come back depressed but then she improves and is happy - after marrying Neil. So it could be explained.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 20:08 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

MaryR wrote:
Vintagejazz wrote:

You have no idea how easy it is to make mistakes like that until you've written over a million words! :twisted: Fortunately I'm a fanatic at editing, but I still find mistakes after posting- or other people tell me about them. Having notebooks - or notes on the computer - doesn't always help, and I do sometimes sympathise with the woman! :dontknow:

I have to agree (and my drabbles combined are well below a million words!). I'm obsessive about making out timelines, writing character bios, looking up words and phrases I'm not sure about in case they're anachronistic, checking my spelling and grammar and so on, and things still slip through the net. One example like the above was when I had two characters talk to each other briefly, only to then have them meet for the first time several chapters later. It was a silly mistake to make, but it did have the effect of making me a bit less critical of poor old EBD. :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 20:46 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

I've got as far as Peggy in my re-read of the series and only spotted my first EBD-ism when I got to Island (she refers to Hilary Linton when Annis returns after her adventure). You know what? I don't care! I love the CS world and if it doesn't always play by the rules, it doesn't bother me. (That's not to say I'm not hugely amused by the observations recorded above, of course.)

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 15:25